Friday, November 19, 2021

Mechanical Tartrazine

Felt so exhausted and zapped of energy this morning. I wrote a rock song about smashing at an iron wall, which is how life feels at the moment. I will remain productive. The iron wall must give!

Have recorded a few more SY-85 tracks - the completed project will be called Mechanical Tartrazine. Here is the list so far:

The volume levels vary for each which is taking time. Helix, a very simple track in the Arcangel incidental music mould, a little like Vangelis' Alpha, kept pausing part way through, so after three attempts, I let it run, then later played just the parts that skipped and edited them painstakingly into the correct place.

Islands of Memory had some silences at the end which made the high pitched whine from my sound card painfully evident, so I decided to try using my trusty Zoom H4 to record and the results were instantly excellent, so I then decided to re-record about 7 tracks using that. It's better to use an external recorder anyway, to minimise strain on the PC, which may lead to those skips during playback. The quality of these recordings is certainly better than those made for The Arcangel Soundtrack, but they were rather good for that album anyway. Still, these make a fancy re-release possible. I could add some bonus tracks, like Archetypes Theme, which were not used in the game. Actually, I really need to remaster the game itself, which hasn't been available in years. I have no time and less incentive for such fancies. I never made a penny from the game, an unfinished copy of which was sold to pound-shops across the land by the so-called publishers. A hard part of recording this old music is revisiting those sad years, so perhaps this explains my recent malaise.

This is all of the synth-only tracks I can record so far. Four others have a mix of samples and synth, which will take a dedicated day to record. The other tracks, 5 discs worth, perhaps 40 tracks, will have to wait until I can get at those files.

I'll pause now until I get those discs. I still feel exhausted yet have so much to do, so many ideas, commitments, and options. Smash! Thump! Scrape! Wall, I defy you. Wall, I will conquer you.