Saturday, November 27, 2021

Storms, Framing

With a violent wind storm, a stock market mini-crash, due to a new potentially vaccine resistant strain of Coronavirus which threatens us all, and the frenetic sales day of 'Black Friday' - I expect no creature slept well last night.

I was reminded that every animal spends every night homeless. A freezing day today. How many nests and shelters were lost to wildlife? I'm increasingly reminded how anthropocentric humanity is. Good or bad, this is the cause of climate change.

Today was spent busy, making new frames. I had three frames for 400x300mm panels to cut, but just ran out of my two wood lengths, so had one long side to cut, therefore needed one new wood length. Cutting this 300mm length from the end of a 2400mm length is not easy for reasons of space and balance, so it was easier to make a fourth frame, so I decided to make a new frame for an existing work, and chose Alien Nativity (many of these older works need new frames). That too meant de-framing and sawing the panel to size.

After that, I could cut my four wood lengths:

I've always used, since my first frame, a floorboard veneer saw for cutting - partly because it fits my 1960s mitre, a Marples Ridgway MR6807. It gives a super fine finish, as good as a 'Morso' guillotine (on plain wood, a Morso would be better for plastered or decorative mouldings - but I decorate mine after cutting).

After this, some simple painting, stain (after painting this time to create a weathered look) and assembly. Two are now glued with my band clamps, two remain for tomorrow.

Heard that I sold a painting too, Monument to Love, my third sale at the Macc Art Lounge in as many days.

Pleased to make good progress on the frames. Tomorrow I must work on essential album admin work, that will free up the week for music rehearsals and development; the two shows in December will be a lot of work. I feel I'm making progress on all fronts.