Wednesday, March 09, 2022

Music Work, The Unremembered Begins

Two steady, if slow, days working on music. Yesterday I generally completed the production for Remembrance Service, and started work on a new song, The Unremembered. Half of yesterday involved sampling 30 or so drum sounds, and converting the classic DX7 synth sounds for playing on the MODX. These sound interesting, I generally like strange and otherworldly synth sounds. Also, in the morning, made a trip to Nantwich museum to pick to the last of the books I had on exhibition there.

Last night I dreamt of a talent contest in the hall of my old school. Someone attired in a black tie outfit was singing Putting on The Ritz. I was impressed, and said that I always struggle with the syncopation of the words to that song (in reality, I don't). This part of the dream was probably influenced by watching a documentary about Gene Wilder which featured the song in Young Frankenstein. The school fire bell went off and I asked someone to investigate. The alarm soon stopped and they said it was a false alarm. Then I noticed smoke and opened the door to find the whole school ablaze. I questioned the investigator and he admitted that he didn't bother checking for a fire and just switched the alarm off. We evacuated the school, which was fully ablaze now. A fire engine was, by chance, nearby in the field opposite and some firemen and women started to put the fire out. I felt that the dream was about missing something important due to the musical distraction; but what?

Today, some initial vocal recording for Remembrance Service and more work on The Unremembered. I added a small new feature to Prometheus to automatically scale and balance a modulator between 0 and 1 (there was already an option to scale between -1 and +1). This helped make an interesting portamento instrument where a chord easily slides from D-minor to C-Major.