Sunday, March 06, 2022

Rest, Programming Efficiencies, Landscapes

A day of rest.

Spent the first few hours sorting and packing away artwork, then some programming. I added a stereo version of my new Proteus plug-in, then made all of the 19 sample based engines (Basic Sample, Hexo Sample, Monotone Hexo Sample, Monotone Proteus, Monotone Sample, Monotone Stereo Proteus, Monotone Stereo Sample II, Monotone Stereo Zeitraum, Monotone Zeitraum, Multisample, Proteus, Randy Monotone Sample, Randy Monotone Sample II, Randy Multisample, Randy Sample, Stereo Sample II, Vocodex Engram, Vocodex Sample, Zeitraum) more efficient with a change to the way looping samples are calculated when anti-aliased; and a change to the 'jump' for the start of a sample. Some engines can start in the middle (or wherever) of a sample, which has its uses, but I thought of a way to speed this up.

Only small, slight improvements. The new Proteus plug-in was a good pointer towards these efficiencies. None of this is really necessary, but it's nice to improve things a tiny bit, and I wanted a fairly restful day. I'm a relieved that the Neorenaissance collection is done.

A new exhibition at the Macc Art Lounge was due (is due?) to start on Thursday, but I've not had any information about it and no word about a print sale there, both of which I was promised many weeks ago. I'm not surprised at the poor communication and another promise lazily broken, but I can't help but be disappointed by it. I'll need rest and proper time and consideration, as well as to schedule (unknown) dates for any exhibition, print labels, prepare artwork; and four days notice is barely enough time.

I love the Art Lounge though, so in the absence of information I have resigned myself to doing something in April. I must rethink new art directions, and new things to create and display to the eager world. The weeks since the buying MODX have been very technical and artless. Solitary, time-consuming 'pottering'.

Painting seems to be totally out of fashion, particularly oil painting. In the recent Chainlinks newsletter of art opportunities, the only painting related opportunity (of 30 or so, if you include photography - which is barely an artform at all, even a one-armed child can do that) was for the Sky Landscape Artist of the Year. Landscapes! Landscapes are the worst art genre of all, the pretty decoration of the urban idiot. Much as I love Romantic art, and the epic nature of Albert Bierstadt, Turner, Andrew Wyeth, this quality is solidified only with extreme sensitivity and compositional genius, and emotional and mental, absolutely not visual, reality. Today, the pain and reality of nature is now erased in a decorative genre lower than that of pretty girls, weeping clowns, kittens.