Tuesday, March 22, 2022

We Liked Him Guitars, Everything For A Country Song But A Country Lyrics

Recorded the guitars for the 'We Liked Him' song today. They may need adjusting once the highly layered vocals are added. I've used four guitar layers, starting with a distorted heavy-metal mute on the bass string, then a few lovely chords which remind me just how much my Brian May guitar does indeed sound like Queen in an instant. No other guitar sounds quite like it. Thirdly I added a high wail which I actually played in one continual take for all of the song. I may have to lower parts of it when the vocals come in.

The vocal verse breaks into a D-Major 'solo' part, but it's more like a pause before two patterns of the main verse chords, this is a 'proper' solo, so I've added another later here of the same guitar in a lower string. The melody here is upbeat and full of joy and energy, it unexpectedly reminds my happier game themes, like Lightning Run.

While I remember, I thought I'd blog the lyrics to the song I sang last night. The melody is very simplistic, and the production a simple 2-time hoedown. Last night, Deb played the Jews Harp and the harmonica solo.

Everything For A Country Song But A Country

I got some jeans and a guitar.
I got some moonshine in a jar.
I got a moaning dog who's always with me.
I got a finger wagging wife.
I got a poor and tragic life.
I got everything for a country song but a country.

I left my home a long time ago
and I've been wandrin' ever since.
Floating round the planet like a lost soul.
When I'll find a place to live I don't know.

(solo)

I got a washtub for a bass.
I got a ragged dogged face.
I got a cowboy hat that's battered like me.
I got some diamonds made of glass,
and lots of grey in my moustache.
I got everything for a country song but a country.

I can't go back to where I was born.
My thirteen kids are feeling all forlorn.
Someday I'll find a place I like
and a place that likes me...

and then I'll have a country song and a country.