Tuesday, July 04, 2023

Light Construction, The Album

I cut a couple more of the 'petals' for my lights last night before bed, then slept for 11 hours, exhausted. I woke and painted these with 4 coats of white primer, then marked them for drilling and drilled the hinge holes, sorted the hinges; at least a third were too stiff to open at all and needed to be thrown away! So much for 'bargains'.

Then it was a matter of cutting the diffuser film and attaching the pegs to the outside. As everything is bolted, these have potential to be dismantled.

After that, the hinges were fitted.

It's been a tiring few days working on this, my latest exhausting obsession for little reward, but such is art and such is life. Progress on the 'Robots' album is going well, though hampered by my inability to record the vocals here. When will I have the space to do this? This prevention of making my art saddens me immensely. I know my 'parents' (as I've said elsewhere, I feel no connection with those people, and never believed they were my actual parents - whatever that word may mean) hate my art and everything I do, as they express this often and hurtfully. I dislike showing my art, any aspect of my work or self, to anyone due to their training to conceal it or face retribution. So much of my art-life has been about trying to overcome this. At times I feel doomed. Yet, I know that victories come only from battles.

I watched Elton John's 1977 Wembley concert, laughing at his declatation that it would be his last. I've only ever seen (on television) three Elton John concerts and at each one he's delcared it to be his last! After that, a more recent Sparks concert, which wasn't as good, though Russel's vocals (at over 70 years of age) had a higher reach than Elton's in 1977, and one can't help but love those brothers. For me, these concerts are learning rather than entertainment opportunities.

Yesterday I scanned (on my flatbed scanner) the two Bickerton portraits but the colours were massively incorrect. Perhaps this obsession is idiotic. Perhaps I should be painting more, making more art, not so worried about its preservation and presentation, yet, for me, the filing aspect, the catalogue and photography is part of the art. Nobody cares about or will do this for me. I have to do everything myself. I am able, so I must.