Monday, July 24, 2023

We Robot Progress

I remain amazed at how much work this album is. I'd hoped that, as with any endeavour, I'd get faster over time, yet seem to be getting slower; but, of course, by doing more. By pushing harder.

Last night I played 'I Think You Love Me' to Deb, with the synth vocals. She couldn't really understand the words, only about half at best, but I think I'll keep them because the song itself needs a computer voice, and the fact that the computer can't quite manage to sing adds a cute and lamentable quality to it; and a unique one.

I work early and sang some more vocals, perhaps the last needed for this album. My singing is better than ever, but there is much improvement to come, and each album and song sounds a bit better. I sang the words to the strange song 'Silicon Carbon Genesis', and some layers and harmonies for 'Fake Plastic Lies'. Then a few more lines for 'Someone Else's A.I.', and an alternative 'P-L-Astic' with a sort of computer feeling.

The day was largely spent working on 'Silicon Carbon Genesis', which needed extending in some areas. It's a simple piano song, almost in the mood of 'The Man With The Child In His Eyes', but less structured and more poetical.

In the middle of the day I fixed up a watermark-detector machine for my father, but it barely works. These things seem to be a light and a coloured filter, £10 of equipment, but they retail for £200 or so! I could probably mass produce them.

This evening, work on the 'I Think You Love Me' words, trying to make them more intelligible, or at least less buzzy or aliased. The fault is with Say-It, which is poor quality, low-res and not anti-aliased. There's not much I can do about it other than design my own speech synthesizer; which, as always with me, is tempting!

On we march.