Friday, July 14, 2023

Orb Dream, SFXEngine, Music and Music Stand

A sleepless night followed by a vivid dream at 6am.

I was in Crewe library, the location of the old library, but it was modernised and light inside, like a railway station or shopping centre, with shops and different reading areas. Someone mentioned that the library had just been sold by the council to Dunelm Mill, that the library would be closed, and that the man doing to sale was a dodgy politician who took two years of underhand work to manage the deal. He was someone who helped cover something up for Boris Johnson during the Covid-19 pandemic. I said that the sale wasn't perhaps too bad, that a new library would emerge one day and perhaps be better.

I found myself outside, in an alleyway, like the 'backses' near Dane Bank Avenue on my school-walk route home. A man with a stick and limp was there, but his stick was small and perhaps stolen. I said I'd find him a new one. I saw a large wooden spoon on the wall of a house in the alley and took it down, then rang to doorbell of the house. Two women inside were talking agitatedly, as one answered. I asked if I could keep the spoon and she said fine. The bowl of the spoon was now broken, leaving a curving shard up one side, not too dissimilar to a crutch. I gave the spoon to the man and he was pleased with it. The alley now was large and surrounded with trees or rusting objects covered with leaves, ivy, brambles; a pretty, verdant forest. The tree before us was vast and I thought I could see that it was a machine instead, an enormous digger/earth mover. Suddenly it became clear that it was indeed a vast, rusting digger covered with greenery, and it roared into life moving towards us alarmingly. A large screw/auger on the front appeared, and it joined another mole-like machine to dig down into the earth to create some sort of new underground building or tunnel system for Crewe.

Something went wrong and workers started to flee the tunnel. Underground, the mole-like digger was about to explode and the area was flooded with an inflammable and radioactive toxic chemical of transparent blue. An apocalyptic explosion was coming and everyone, including myself ran for cover.

I found myself in a glass ball about 2-3M in diameter, sealed in. It appeared that, after the explosion, the wrecked world was toxic with radiation, but that a few people like me had managed to survive in these Zorb-like/Super-Monkey-Ball-like orbs. I followed a group of survivors underground, through a series of dark and contorted tunnels, often going underwater and past broken girders or other remnants of civilisation. We emerged into a cave lit with an artificial blue light, an underground refuge or base. The orbs opened to release us, we were safe here. The floor was ankle deep with water and the place was cold and black, the decor of the game Halo or the haven of the heroes in The Matrix film series. There were some beds here, a communal bunk area, and I tried to sleep but made moans and noises due to anxiety, which annoyed some of my fellow survivors.

Next day, waking in the dark base, we left on a mission, climbing into our orbs. The scenario was now to me like a sci-fi series, where weekly adventures were about exploring the broken, toxic world in these protective orbs. We entered an abandoned old warehouse or office. I found some old Amiga-era 3.5in floppy discs; some DD (Double Density) and some HD (High Density). A team member commented that the DD discs was more valuable, harder to find, but that both stacks of discs should be taken for future use. This ancient technology was now valuable by its rarity. I realised that the discs were mine, my old Amiga archive.

There my vivid dream ended.

I awoke to a day of admin, the launch of an update to SFXEngine. I also transcribed some music from the MODX which I recorded late last night. Unusually, connecting the MODX via USB caused an instant 'Blue Screen Of Death' in Windows 11; highly unusual. I spent 90 minutes working on the music stand for the synth, which needs testing tomorrow. I've also recorded the vocals for 'I Think You Love Me' but I feel a little artistically at sea. I need more projects, more ambition. I'm spending time on the physical projects; lights, woodwork, when I should be more productive in other areas.

On we forge, through the jungle of life, through the labyrinth we must move, crawl, seek, push.