Friday, July 21, 2023

Stomach Pain, War Is Over Scores 2

A terrible night of stomach agony! Chips the culprit, that food I cannot eat. It's amazing how my digestive constitution differs so markedly from my mother's. She loves and can easily digest potatoes, yet can barely handle pasta and dislikes rice; yet I'm the opposite. I can eat lots of pasta, love rice, yet potatoes to me produce a concrete-like effect in my digestion. I slept for an hour or two, and could barely lie down. Magnesium Citrate is my friend and saviour in these circumstances, but it's been a slow day of only partial recovery.

As such, I couldn't muster the energy or desire to work on anything creative. I fixed the 46 Prometheus sequences which mixed the two new 'Randy Monotone' plug-ins. I made some code changes and batch fixed those. Then, in an attempt to be productive on some level, decided to complete the War Is Over scores.

Struck Lucifers is amazingly complex note-for-note, but essentially two moods, well three. It starts with a 'White Cliffs of Dover' homage, then a boogie-woogie rhythm, interspersed with gentle flowing notes with a middle-eastern feeling (matching the poem's words about Egypt/Palestine, a key area of British foreign policy in the 1940s). It's quite simple to play and improvise it all live, but matching the recorded version note-for-note is devilishly difficult. I managed to transcribe those notes well enough, though it all took about two hours.

For the final track, Asylum Flowers, I stopped trying, and added a written note that the music should collapse at the end into post-traumatic fragmentation, which is how I play it each time.

The scores were completed and released on itch, and I updated the others there. Then a last job of promoting the latest IndieSFX sale.

My stomach still hurts, but I have managed to eat today. I'm now awaiting Beethoven's 5th on the Proms; tonight on TV. I must, tomorrow, work more on We Robot.