Friday, July 28, 2023

Prometheus v3.15, You Are My Ice Cream

A somewhat slow and rubbishy day. I slept badly, awoke tired, but I was working past 9pm last night, refining the music and taking a look at things. Today I edited the piano parts to Silicon Carbon Genesis a tiny amount, changing one single note.

Then I decided to update Prometheus with a few minor upgrades. First adding tiny icons to jump to the start/end of a sequence (there is a key for this but I always forget it). Adding cleverer systems for checking parameter changes when changing instrument. It's possible to change or set any parameter in the program on the fly, programmatically in songs. Even samples in sounds can be changed 'live' in this way (I've never actually done that), but changing an instrument will generally invalidate all of these parameter changes on the instrument level, and the program would crash if a change was instructed for a dead or illegal parameter, so I've generally deleted all instrument parameter changes when an instrument changes... but there are times when this isn't a problem; when, for example, you have two very similar instruments and want to keep the changes. So now any parameter changes are checked for legality and limited or kept if possible. Another change is that stereo samples are now loaded as a pair automatically, rather than asking which channel is preferred. Finally, the number of notes deleted is returned during any mass-delete options.

The programming changes were minor, something of a distraction. I feel the need to be more creative, do more, but I've felt tired today. In such circumstances, I aim for rational action. Emotional action is often inaction or indecision. One job on such days is to tidy, organise, prepare and make it easier to create in future. So I decided to write up and file a song I spontaneously wrote a few days ago. The words are rather amusing:

You Are My Ice Cream

You are my ice cream.
You are my sweet.
When I see you I get hungry
and it's you I want to eat.

You are my candy.
You're my delight.
When I wake I think of you
and want another night.

Let me sprinkle
sugar on your day.
Let me blow your
angry clouds away.

You are my whipped cream.
You are my spice.
Every thought I have of you
is very very nice.

You are my play time,
my holiday.
Come to my Wendy House
and we'll run away.

In other news, a new passport has arrived, so I'm free to travel for the next 10 years, although my main reason for getting it is identification, with a secondary aim of application for a (more useful) Irish Passport, to which I am entitled. My father's watermark detector machine arrived today too, which turns out to be as rubbish as my mother and I expected.

So, I must move to complete this album, and complete my studio light-leg stands. Time to get things over with and move on. Roll my rock over this hill towards better pastures. Overlander me must roll, advance like the army we are. Advance, advance! Eternal and ever-rolling.