Monday, July 03, 2023

Prometheus Resampling, Lighting Construction

A sleepless night of stomach pain and inflammatory twitches. This led to a late awakening and a slow start. Started with some more programming refinements to Prometheus. Ah programming! This always settles me but can lead to odd obsessions for perfection which drag on time.

The tiny fix I made yesterday was almost too small for an update, so I added a new option to maximise (normalise) a sample, plus (more usefully and importantly) the ability to resample a sample between any two frequencies. The algorithm was/is based on the anti-aliased sample playback, but with even higher precision. It seems to work but I don't know how to objectively test how brilliant it sounds. This may be useful for SFXEngine updates, or any updates. Now, and always for years, all of my samples have needed to be 44100hz, but now I could theoretically import at any frequency and convert (though it would tend to be lower quality; starting and staying with 44100hz would be best). I could, theoretically, export in any frequency too, with the same caveat. I could change the export options and use the algorithms with a new sample-table. Even now I can turn down Prometheus an octave, thus effectively exporting an 88200hz file. It's trivial to extend that to any value. 48000hz has, in recent years, become the de-facto basic standard, with 96000hz for 'pro' quality audio; so my motivation for this resampling code was preparation to potentially support for these values. Internally, SFXEngine and Prometheus samples are 4x oversampled, so they're effectively 176400hz and downsampled during playback.

Well, the programming took all morning. Then I started work on the lighting. By chance, Wilkinson has some 810 lumen bulbs on sale at £6 for two, so I bought four. These used to be about £8 each. I think they're cheaper now as they're being supplanted by dimmable ones, which I don't need or want. I then cut the 6mm MDF into strips and painted my 3mm HDF too, but now I realise I'll need four more of these! These lights will cost me at least £100, probably £150 in materials.

All of this has taken all day. No work done on music, art or anything else. Next step is to cut 4 more of the thin baffle/reflector flange things for the other light, then cut the polyester diffusers, then drill holes for the hinges, then everything will be ready to test with mock-lights so see how even it all looks...

This will hopefully help solve my problem with getting the best images of my paintings. Last year's were not great. Lighting inaccuracy is the next biggest imperfection in my never-ending quest for the best art reproductions.