Friday, August 25, 2023

Mural Plans Continue

A bad night of sleeplessness because of the full and intense day before, excitement and anxiety over this monumental design.

I woke late and have completed some basic admin work on We Robot and AI And Celebrity, then went around town for painting supplies, avoiding heavy downpours by amazing luck. I'm wondering if some sort of tarpaulin or covering for the entire 15M artwork would be a good idea. It would if I could find such a sheet...

In the late afternoon and evening, I put some cellophane over the drawing and shaded in the black areas. Despite this crude way of seeing the results, the final image looked excitingly good. Unique and amazing, to the extent that I've started to consider changing my visual art to match this style from now on. Monochrome has a magic because it gives equal power to the positive and negative spaces, white on black even more-so because we're used to seeing black on white drawings.

I've sourced the paint and bought the brushes and other materials. I also made a simple device of two pins with white elastic between, so I could pin a 'white line' to the black surface as a guide. This may be useful. There are a few tiny details in the design: a mouse, a few bees, a flower, the Crewe War Memorial. For those I'll make stencils. On the drawing, the memorial is 4mm across. It will be 5cm on the finished wall. The line of these objects, for every object, is really important, not the sort of thing that should be left to chance. My plan is to use coloured pencils to line everything out. Ideally, this would all be done first over about two days. If the wall and site were secure, were in a studio, I'd do that for certain, but I'm unsure about doing it this way left outside and insecure.