Friday, August 04, 2023

We Robot Mixing, Cover Art

The end stages of work on We Robot, mixing and mastering. Lots of small changes, plus work on the cover art. Some designs:

I rather liked the cyan one, it reminded me of the old Dragon 32 colours, but also Spirograph. I'll use both, but probably the bronze one.

Most of the day was spent mixing, tweaking. I always find this an anxious time, a strange quest for perfection that's elusive because there are no right answers, no perfect mixes. If it feels right and sounds right, it is right, and a mix is part of the art too. Listening to the wonderful songs on Hounds Of Love, I also note how bassy they are, how perhaps I'd have boosted the upper end a bit. I listen to how Tony Visconti's Bowie records had quite a lot of bass in the vocals, versus Queen's records which have that cut extensively.

In other news, Taskforce v1.06 was launched too.