Monday, December 07, 2020

Apocalypse of Clowns Art, Jan Svankmajer's Jabberwocky

A disturbed night, tense in the night and evening, and was awake from 3am or so to 6am or so, so consequently arose late. I wrote two essays: one about real fur vs. fake fur, one about vegetarianism. These were perhaps distractions, the arguments circling my mind at 4am in the way that thoughts often do. Neither issue particularly concerns me, but a recent anti-fur statement, apparently by awful entertainer Ricky Gervais, seemed without rational reason to me so I wanted to explore this; I wondered if, for example, he wore leather, or ate meat and considered those things acceptable but fur not, or was aware of the harm that artificial fur does to the environment. Of course, nobody wants to treat animals badly.

I also watched Jan Svankmajer's Jabberwocky for visual inspiration... I wondered if I could make our video suitably surreal. It somehow feels less creative to make a 'normal' video. I wonder if David Lynch had similar concerns when making A Straight Story.

I also created some inner page artwork for Apocalypse of Clowns. I think the cover is complete now. Here is a first look:

Two small sessions of singing training, this seems more effective than one per day. Good progress so far on scales up to B, perhaps my cleanest and most tonal to date but a lot needs to be done in strength and stamina terms. These two 10 to 15 minute sessions seemed like a reasonable limit at the moment.

Overall it's felt like a slow, unproductive and rather poor day. The self-harm of the Brexit negotiations, which are climaxing this week, are cooling the already cold mood and darkening the already darkening days.