Sunday, December 27, 2020

Streaming vs. CDs

My spirit and lust for life has felt crushed by others today. It will return.

At 5pm or so I started to record new guitar parts for I, Sisyphus; the main backing guitars. I have recorded these once using my old amp but the new one sounds so very different, more powerful and richer, that I feel the need to use that instead. Listening back this evening, they sound better than I thought they did when playing - this often happens. I'm reminded that things are not so bad. I must push on.

The Myth of Sisyphus will probably be released in a new way. I love physical media, and put a lot of work in making a CD that is nice looking and an album that is designed to be listened to as an album, as a symphony, not casually streamed in the background, not with some tracks cherry-picked in any old order. I dislike 'best of' albums, or the act of picking one or two tracks... that is like a short term, instant gratification fix for people with no patience or sensitivity. I like and want music to be grand and symphonic, important, and brilliant: never casual. Pink Floyd's The Wall, for example, really needs to be listened to and appreciated as an album, it becomes more than the sum of its parts at that point. If books were streamed, would people read their favourite chapter or paragraph and ignore the rest?

Streaming music feels like a demo version of a game, a shareware game compared to the boxed AAA title of the full album. Streaming royalties are also poor, rather like shareware is or was for game developers, but it does have some use, it gives people a taste of the music, perhaps fulfilling the function of a single... Pink Floyd, to reference them again, disliked the idea of singles, but against their wishes a bit of The Wall was released as a single, and it did work, it gave thousands of more people a taste of the album.

Well, I'll say more on this when the album is finished next year.