Sunday, December 20, 2020

Guitar Customisation

Did a few guitar experiments, comparing with a few famous guitar sounds, wow, how good this amp sounds. I've found a few settings that do make use of the guitar volume, which I like because it gives more options for expression while playing. I never really liked the Tone controls though, they sre just a bit of a rubbish filter that remove the nicer top end really...

But, I had the idea of noting a volume scale on my guitar... on a whim. I started with a paper dial...

Which I put around the control. This was okay... but I can't really keep that there... so I punched some dots through it, a standard technique in metal working. Then added some little gems, using Paraloid B72 to stick them. I regretted this later; why deface the guitar for the sake of a volume that I'll probably never use! But actually, it does change the sound and I have started to more or note the volume for different sounds, and there is no scale at all for this...

...and the guitar itself isn't that beautiful. It's a functional, lovely instrument, but aesthetically it could be better. The switches look just awful and there are big screw heads everywhere... and actually my gemstones add an Italian-glam look. Now my BMG Special looks like something from Flash Gordon!