Tuesday, December 15, 2020

The Spare Bedroom Sequence, Plumbing, Light Singing

A steady day.

Made a small sequence for a new Sisyphus track today, 'The Spare Bedroom Of Reminiscence Of Childhood'. This uses the same music as an earlier track on the album so it was a simple job.

I spent much of the day fixing a fauly tap in the bathroom which has wobbled for years. I saw that it has some sort of valve so I looked that up online, switched it to turn the water off, and managed to remove the tap and find and fit a new washer; but we haven't got a tool capable of tighening the nut. We have a basin spanner but the space is so cramped that I need something like a tube with a socket on the end, which I dicovered today is called a Back Nut Tap Spanner. Well, sorting out this and ordering one took a few hours.

Then a nice social few hours in the park, the second of two sunny days. I thought, at the last minute, that we really need to film the outdoor Jabberwocky parts... must get this video done! If we can't, then it will involve indoor bits and probably be more surreal as a result.

Then about 50 minutes of vocal exercises (with a lot of pauses between), which were all very gentle this time, not even involving actual singing, but involving head and face massage, humming, straw phonation, fricative notes ('vvv', and 'zzz' sounds), and lip trills. These are good training because they allow technical practice of muscle use and breathing, while avoiding strain. For the higher notes, anything above A, I seem to need to push a little, the first time, to hit the note. Shortly after I can manage without pushing. I wonder if this is simply lack of some sort of muscularity, that the highest notes of a range will always need a bit of push at first, but after a few days (or weeks), these become easier.

After singing I used my steam inhaler and this did feel good. One downside with it is the need to dry it each time after use; a tissue and a hairdryer can do this in a few minutes.

I have too much energy and anxiety due to inaction. I'm working at about 25% capcity and need to do more. Well, the night is young.