Monday, December 28, 2020

Sisyphus Guitar

A good day, I'm full of ideas and enthusiasm today.

Incorporated the new guitar recordings to 'I, Sisyphus' and recorded all new solo parts for this complex track, 7 or 8 new sections in all. This is good, it's good guitar training to play more. It slows the recording process down, but all playing is good practice and these takes were done more quickly and better than first time.

Apart from vocals, and the final tweaks (which can take days), the album is complete. It is certainly a technical step up from Burn of God and The Dusty Mirror because of the much greater incorporation of live parts vs. sequenced parts. Some of my albums, The Anatomy of Emotions perhaps, Cycles, Music of Poetic Objects, have quite a lot of live parts but those are all generally solo piano sections. About half of this album will be recorded and with a much greater variety of live instruments, and of course improved vocals; vocals and guitar these have been my central focus in 2020. I'm eager to finish it... to create more... and to push experimental boundaries.

I lay awake for hours in the night. I need to complete the Jabberwocky video next, and produce something for the Cheshire Prize of Literature, and something for the Ruth Borchard Self-Portrait prize; those, and recording the vocals for Sisyphus are my goals for January. Four short weeks; too short. I also need to work on The Infinite Forest.

All of the easy things, the things in progress must be completed so that I can create new things. There can be a lull, a sort of deadness when there is time only for new things so it's good to have several overlapping projects, ideally in different media, so I'll try to make the most of the mix of video, writing, painting and music. This is my ideal.

I've performed some basic singing training today but I feel too anxious and self-conscious when practicing. Yet, I must at least train, and will keep doing something daily.