Friday, December 04, 2020

Jabberwocky Queued

Jabberwocky was confirmed today as set for release on Jan 27 2021. Deb tagged Michael Rosen on Twitter, who himself has recorded the poem, and he kindly retweeted this. I've put the single on my website and the Cornutopia Music website, and updated various social media links; the barest of starts.

Did a light 15 minutes of vocal training. My voice feels tight at times, but never hoarse. This is probably all tension. I can practice piano and guitar for hours with ease and no worries of harming my arms or fingers, even if my muscles burn with the joy of exercise and my fingertips become raw, but I have a fear of damaging my voice which is probably irrational and proving problematical. Well, a routine is perhaps the answer, and regular gentle practice with hydration and breaks if I get an actual sore throat rather than merely worry about or imagine one.

I spent about two hours researching Doctor Zhivago for Deb's poetry competition. I sketched a poem inspired by Pasternak's Hamlet, a poem which moved and resonated with me, as a fellow absolute determinist, but I wasn't happy with my words. I will keep trying.

I also sketched out some ideas for the Jabberwocky video which will take up much of my time for the next six weeks. I don't really feel like doing it, and don't particularly value or enjoy videos - but we need one, and I'll try to make it as good as the Time Falling video, which is one of my best so far. Unlike the singular climax in Time Falling, there are several moments of drama in Jabberwocky, and it is 6 minutes long, which makes it more work and data heavy.

One trick with music videos is to film a lot of things which look pretty, and hopefully have some relation to the music, and them piece them together. For key moments, moments that conjure specific images, these can be filmed too. The change from the 'frabjous' ending and the solemn piano chord near the end made me think of revisiting a grave, so I may include that (there are always constraints on what we can film, and where, in these Covid times - I would love to film some parts of myself at a grand piano somewhere, but there is little hope of that).