Sunday, April 09, 2023

Frans Hals Video

A jump to video from painting, as Deb operated the camera to film some footage for a music video for Frans Hals, and Art For Me.

Some filmed elements are better than ever, but I was annoyed by a few, like the ragged look of my shirt (which fell open, this does make it look more rock-n-roll; Deb preferred it this way, though I'd have liked it neater). I mimed guitar too, which, ironically, sounded good in the studio but wasn't at all in time to the actual recording. It's a bit like singing a brilliant karaoke mime to the wrong verse. I will have to do some work on the footage. Ultimately, it will not be accurate.

The Art For Me video involved the Rilke Pierrot mask and singing to a lightbulb; with memories of the memorable scene in Blue Velvet. This looked beautiful at times.

But still, I felt rather tired and sad by it all. My perfectionism saw nothing but flaws, and I find it so hard to add a sense of artistry to video, an artless and time consuming medium I dislike. We can see some personality in a film by Hitchcock, Orson Welles, David Lynch, but very few (if any) music videos have any sense of character or art. Can anyone identify the art or artisan in a music video? They are more like moving advertisements than art; but, sigh, I must try, so I decided to add as much genius as I could to, and with, what I have.

This morning I read that Society6 has reactivated my account, after RedBubble suspended it last week without any warning, reason, or explanation. So most of today was spent uploading images there and adding these to my website, but in my mind I was thinking about the music video. I thought it would be nice to have an animated video with some film sections flying about in custom masks, something like A-ha's 'Take on Me' video.

Starting at 4pm today, by 5:30 I'd got most of a draft complete.