Saturday, April 15, 2023

Sappho II Underpainting, Golden Age Released

A full day yesterday. Woke feeling rather tired, started to paint the next part of Sappho. It was the release day for The Golden Age but I had no time for admin, the painting called. Painting was disrupted somewhat by surprise builders working on some new gutters for the front of the house, which needed doing but was still an annoyance, having people passing my curtainless window as I painted.

The painting has much more definite form than the first version and is perhaps better in every way, but not as dark or as moody as the initial study; yet I noted that the other version seemed rather too dark (while still not as dark as the other version). Anyway, colours can be altered during glazing, although that is not ideal. I rarely, and have rarely, made things darker during glazing. It's optimal to match the tones.

I finished at 6, then spent an hour on basic album-launch admin; updating links on my website to point to the live album, launching on Bandcamp, and at 7 watching the YouTube premiere of the Frans Hals video. This time last week, we'd not even filmed it and now it's complete and live to the world.