Monday, April 24, 2023

Tones

I would say a quieter day, but the day has flown by. Deb and I dropped off some items to a charity shop then bought some supplies, including wood for framing.

I'm unhappy with my recent paintings, though there are some good points. The battle was so difficult, yet the results to me see resolutely on a similar level to before, when I can see and feel that I can leap upwards. One thing about the two recent paintings; Love is Dead and Song of Sappho is that the underpainting was unusually grey, and the glazes looked unusually strong, perhaps as a result of the greyness. Here (incidentally) is the glazing study for the Sappho colours:

The glazes needed to be more muted for a muted background, but these are fine for a stronger background. A problem here was a lack of time, but there will always be deadlines. An artist free of time and bounds is still constrained by future ideas. Nobody can afford to stand still.

My next painting plans are some portraits for Bickerton. I could use these as testbeds for new tonal studies.