Sunday, April 23, 2023

Song of Sappho

A long day glazing Song of Sappho. I now eat at 17:30, so have four, 90-minute painting sessions in the day, and fitted a 45-minute one in the evening. The glazing was unconventional in that I didn't match the tones, to darken everything to more closely match the initial 2014 study. This worked, but was difficult and time consuming; a case of glazing everything with a dark transparent layer, then adding details into the wet. I used a similar process (by accident, then) for Penalties. That painting took seven 8-hour days to glaze, this just two for a painting of comparable size and complexity.

I'm now exhausted. Each session felt like a great battle, each moment requiring focus and constant pushing to do my best. I will complete filing details etc. tomorrow or on Tuesday, due to a busy day planned for tomorrow.