Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Sappho, Sonatas, Inside

Spent the morning transferring over the new Sappho painting, then sanding down and painting the new Love is Alive frame, then adding 16 album cover designs to Society6 (I have 38 more to add). Busy, but not very satisfying. I listened to more Beethoven analysis and felt inspired and frustrated. I wish I could play the piano better. I can instantly envisage and imagine writing Beethoven style piano sonatas - though I know that these are somewhat old fashioned...

I can, of course, learn to play any of them, in time, but I can't compose without the ability to play, so that I know that a work IS playable. I have something to paint for the New Light competition, but am still unsure what to enter (and there are only two weeks until the deadline). I have too many ideas, lots of sonatas in paint, but why paint those? They may be too late for any contests. Most of my ideas represent emotions, like music, but of course painting can represent far more complex narratives too, which I'm perhaps neglecting. By making everything a series, with 'movements', I'm increasing my workload without any immediate benefit. Paths! Doubts! Options! I also need plans for albums which are better artistically that, whilst remaining as good on production terms as, The Golden Age. I must create. I must succeed. I must excel. Reach! Push! Battle!

In the evening Deb and I went to the launch of Joy Winkler & John Lindley's new poetry collection Inside, which was a lovely evening, as we always experience from the friendly Congleton group. They remain our primary, all too rarely seen, too rarely met, group of artistic friends. Still, a social life would be bad for productivity.

On I must push, roll, stride.