Sunday, April 30, 2023

SFXEngine, Chinese Lamp

A full day yesterday working on the SFXEngine upgrades. Here's a look at the program so far:

Have put many days work into these upgrades now, largely improving the reliability of things, and starting to add and upgrade the plugins. I've done far more work on Prometheus than this over the years, so many of those cumulative updates and bug-fixes need incorporating into SFXEngine. I'll keep working on plugins today, and will add the new Zeitraum and Proteus plugins.

In my spare hours I've dismantled a Chinese lamp which was designed badly, not to be dismantled. The base was held on with aluminium rivets which I needed to drill off, and even the cable grip was a solid lump of plastic which prevented the cable from being removed or replaced. I managed to saw that off and tug the cable loose. The touch switch had broken (which was the reason for my intervention), but I've dismantled everything and will change it into a normal lamp. Mum was going to throw it away, yet it's a pretty thing with coloured glass, a cheap Tiffany imitation, so I thought it would be a fun restoration project.

Part of the work is making it repairable and serviceable. I cut two 150mm arcs of wood and fixed these into the base. This will allow the base to be screwed in, and will form a base for a new cable grip which I've made from Polymorph (Polycaprolactone).