Sunday, June 28, 2020

Admin, Twin Peaks

Spent all of yesterday on admin duties, first adding dates and languages to my YouTube videos. I'm reminded how many I made in 2018 due to ArtSwarm and how good some of these were (it is a shame than these are unwatched).

At lunch I watched the Twin Peaks pilot for the first time, watching the second half later in the day. So few of the characters mentioned that Laura Palmer was dead; I think only the high-school principal said so at all, the rest was conveyed by awkward pauses, over-the-top melodramatic tears, and grimaces. It also reminded me that every self-penned David Lynch film or project, perhaps except for Eraserhead, is basically set in the 1950s and that all of the characters look and behave like something from Grease no matter what the 'official' era. Peaks (I guess the sexual allusion in the title is no mistake) has far better production values than the X-Files. Of course, I'm officially 21 years out of date watching and considering this, but 2000 is now among my culturally most recent years.

In the afternoon I thought I'd add my latest four CD covers to my website, updating Animalia and The Spiral Staircase with the latest ones. This also involved updating the prints on RedBubble and this apparently simple job took four hours.

One other thing I did was record the vocals for the song 'Except For The Hatred', which is a marvelous track but so very hard to sing. I have little chance of performing this live, there are many octave jumps up to high G which is my most feasible top note (I can just hit an weak A, but even the G is pushing it).

I feel to need to create something but what, and I'm torn between faster jobs or pausing to consider a bigger and more important project. The talk videos about old albums seem a bit pointless, yet, when I think of what is 'ideally' there, then all of the albums would have one, and in a mere week could probably make one of these for every album anyway. The Spiral Staircase could do with some music videos too, but I'd rather leave this and let the music speak for itself; does Jean-Michel Jarre worry about the lack of videos for, say, Magnetic Fields? It would be nice if a video student or collaborator makes the video for this.