Sunday, June 14, 2020

More Lost Highway

Still largely deaf and lacking in energy, but could hear well enough in my right ear to complete watching Lost Highway, with apologies for committing the sin of seeing this film in two halves.

It is a film that, like the excellent Videodrome, is a whole. Now I've seen it I can read about it and I am somewhat amazed that people found it incoherent, when the narrative is straightforward to (admittedly surreal) me. The story and concept are the highlights of the film, but it lacks the emotional highs and imagination generally of Lynch's other work and some elements felt too similar to, yet worse than, Blue Velvet. Loggia, as very much a Frank Booth character, was far inferior to Hopper. Too much of the character dynamics were too unrealistic to be engaging... sometimes frustratingly unrealistic. There are moments that are so bad that they emulate Ed Wood. I make this criticism out of sadness, because I see so many good seeds in it and things in it I wish I could, with a magic wand, change to make it wonderful.

Of course, it's still more interesting than 99% of Hollywood's output. Good quality films are hard to come by. It's nice to dream of making a film (The Johnstown Project?) but it takes 100 people, 100 million dollars, 100 tons of equipment, and one year, and 99.99% of the time the film remains unseen and, if seen, forgotten in 100 minutes.

Perhaps my deafness and head pain has made me think visually today. I feel enthused and able to create, although when I'll be able to sequence music is up to the gods. Of course, this music will probably remain unlistened to, too, but I must still do my best each time, and give it every chance and hope, such that when I am dead, someone may find it. Such is art.