Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Poetry Videos

Spent today recording and editing new videos of reading some poems from The Burning Circus. I decided to try using the Rode M3 mic into the Zoom H4, rather than my trusty Rode NT3. The whole thing was ruined; massive white (or pinkish) noise in one channel obliterating any vocals and lots of this hiss in the other too. Both channels were split via a splitter... I wonder if the 48v phantom power somehow caused problems this way (I use a battery for the NT3). I (unwisely) monitored just by looking at the levels so the sound was ruined despite a lot of work dressing up etc. for each poem.

Not all was lost. I used my cheap zoom lens so the camera was closer to me than normal, perhaps 2M, and the conditions were very quiet so the camera mic managed to capture the audio adequately. These videos will gradually appear on my channel over the coming weeks.

I'd like to create and publish a video per day in July, but with speed can some a sacrifice of quality. In art, quantity is generally better than waiting to produce something 'brilliant' but a good film, for example, can't easily be made in a day - the length of the film fundamentally limits the time needed to make it. I can make just about any 60-second film in a day (although stop-motion might be tricky), but a 90-minute film in a day might be a tad boring and cheap looking as there won't be time to edit it, prepare it, process it etc. In terms of pure creativity, there is a certain build up of ideas that demands peace and a rest, of perhaps more than a day, but only perhaps. Many ideas are instantaneous, even for 90-minute films.

With my current catalogue I can make two or three year's worth of daily poetry or song lyric videos, but I'd prefer some more variety.