Sunday, June 07, 2020

Cherries

I've reworked the 'Cherries' song today. Have spent far too long working on this strange art song, but it had to be right. Today was dogged by technical problems with my faulty and old sound equipment which has a habit of shorting out and need reconnecting during takes. Careful preparation is the key. Any frustration must be faced with pure logic and calm resolve. The first version sounded too suggestive, it kept creating images of Laurence Olivier talking about oysters, but also the chorus part was an improvised after thought. I thought I could make the words better generally, and wanted a rhyming couplet and stronger images. I feel ready to move on now. I've spent weeks on this album project and have only this short song finished.

Cherries

When you're young you like sweets
Tastes of cherries
As you age you explore
And crave nuance
Your mature tastes are bitter
Dark and strange
A crimson soul
Protecting coal

In hearts of darkness
fire and ice meet
Love's tang is sour
stroked with sweet