Thursday, June 25, 2020

Book Cover, Bastille Day

Almost too hot to work, 26.6 degrees in my room and didn't go below 25 all night. Today I've designed a book cover for a secret future project (not mine).

I ate strawberries for lunch and chopped the tops off with a knife. The look of the pile of tops reminded me of heads during the French Revolution (as I am sure it does you) so I made a simple film of a strawberry King Louis XVI being decapitated. The backdrop involved lots of contemporary protests and I felt that these current times have revolutionary echoes too. The words "liberté, égalité, fraternité" were initially shown in a bloody font to screams, and I liked the emotional contrast, so I filmed a few more scenes to extend the film; an arm cut, toast made and jam eaten. In the end these were not used but I did use one scene of the (actual) Louis XVI strawberry being squished into my head as though I were gunshot. I told myself that the mark of a film maker is in the quantity of great scenes filmed at great length and great endeavour which are never seen or used.

For the audio I used a free MIDI file of la marseillaise and made it up in Prometheus, adding a few sound effects from my library. The film will go on my site on Bastille Day.