Saturday, October 22, 2022

Bandcamp and Scores

A busy day of admin work again. I've now added all 31 of my active albums and EPs to my Bandcamp page, complete with an early pre-sale option on Heart of Snow. This is a first step, it allows me to more easily add special items to albums. The Marius Fate book, for example, was for sale with my PayPal based Shopping Cart, which I'd programmed myself on my website, but after 5 years or so I'd only ever had one sale from it (in the first month or so), and the security risks and work of constantly updating the complex API was too much, so I decided to relegate all sales to external sites, like itch. Most things were sold externally anyway, my games via Steam, some posters and tee-shirt designs on RedBubble, books on Amazon etc. It made no sense to have a shopping cart too.

I've used Bandcamp exclusively for CD albums, but there's no reason not to use if for digital works. Bandcamp is sort of outside the regular regulatory framework; I'm unsure if they pay streaming royalties like YouTube and Spotify do, though those royalties are so pitiful that the only real benefit to an artist is exposure or, more correctly, accessibility to listeners.

Adding these albums took almost all day, then I proofed the lyrics for the Salomé album, and submitted those.

Finally I've started to look at my scores, and their filing. I file my instrumental sequences and scores together, 'B' then a code. These can be NoiseStation sequences, Prometheus sequences, or sheet music (usually in MuseScore and pdf format). Sometimes a composition was remade for Prometheus... like the old Spiral Staircase album. In that case I've given everything a new number, but things became complicated when I made sheet music versions of my recorded music... it makes most sense to give both the same code, so I do that. B1093A is 'Lou Salome Remembers', the first track of the album. At the moment there are two versions; the sequence AND the sheet music. Now I'll be making the sheet music B1093B, and putting an empty text file as a reminder/placeholder in the Prometheus folder. This is a bit complicated, but will be increasingly needed, as I increasingly use scores.

Another complication is that scores are often tied to a suite or album. I like to know that 'Lou Salome Remembers' is the first track of the Salomé suite, but I don't really want to call it 'Salome 01: Lou Salome Remembers' because it makes the filenames long and it's suddenly different from the name of the sequence.

Decisions decisions.