Monday, October 03, 2022

Film Dream, Otesanek Edit, Waterfades

I dream of being in a film. I was acting, and delighted in how easy it was because I was behaving naturally and didn't know the script or what was coming up, unlike the other actors; which were I think two men and a woman. A camera was invisibly following us and I was smiling, delighting in being on film. We entered a restaurant and sat down. I was served thick chips, like potato wedges. I was informed that a steak was coming. This made me nervous, a fear of eating this rich food which invariably give me stomach ache. I began to worry at having to eat it on camera. Then, with this anxiety in mind and before the meat arrived, the scene changed abruptly.

I was now in a large bathroom with several baths and sinks, as though in an institution. It was clean, nice, lined with zinc-blue tiles, and the leading man and lady were here in a new scene of the film. He said that she should submerge her face in a large sink of cool water, to feel refreshed, and she did so. The sink was huge, more like a huge cubic bath or vat, perhaps a metre cubed or bigger. The pair walked to a corner of the room and conversed out of my attention. They seemed to be oblivious to my presence. I secretly moved to the sink and put my face in the cool water, to see how it felt. I held my breath under the water and it felt lovely. Then I climbed in to another bath in a slightly darker part of the room, holding my breath with my whole body under the cold water. A Japanese woman, dressed like a nurse, came in and threatened to put a lid over the bath/sink, trapping me underwater. This made me panic, I thought I'd better get out. Then I awoke.

A busy day. Started by making a new edit of Otesanek for a new e-zine. This involved a new bit of guitar playing, which added a bit of sparkle to the morning. Then I researched more random number generators, and specifically tests of a new 16-bit ditherer, which I'll implement at some point.

Then some work on a Prometheus plugin, Engram Input Waterfade, which fades a signal on a track based on the input of another track (or another anything, an 'engram' can be used to store sound from any part in the signal chain, permitting some complex, almost programming-style logic). The plugin isn't great though, it's too simple, simply reducing the volume based on a crude volume trace of the source, and the result can be stuttery, and the attenuation is related to the source too closely. So I spent a few hours redesigning it to be more like my noise gate, which has two gates, one triggers the other, to creates a smoother result, and with more standard parameters. I can now, for example, mimic the volume of the source rather than it's silence.

In between doing this I finished the main composing for the dance version of 'Dream Sequence', and played an electric piano solo for it, just live in one take. In a way this natural feeling part stands out, for the better, from the rest of the song, but there's not really enough quiet time in there to add more.