Monday, October 17, 2022

Digital Booklet Formats, Salome Last Changes, FIG Downloads

A steady day. Started by examining possible changes to Argus and then standards for digital booklets. I'm thinking it would be nice to have a PDF download of the album available, an art-filled booklet of lyrics, images, perhaps sheet music.

Apple iTunes have a 'digital booklet' which is 72dpi and horizontal. A rather odd format really; it's hard to print, rather low-res and recommended under 10Mb. I'm thinking that a standard 'B' format book; 5.06x7.81 in; might be better as this vertical format would make it printable, and it's -just- big enough for a CD, though one would have to fit it on the back in a transparent case rather than inside (it's too small to fit one inside the book). A larger book would fit one inside... but more size means more space... the B format is good book standard and about the same width as a CD Jewel Case. Any book could fit a USB drive (or other flash media). I started a template, experimentally.

Then I made a last change to the Freud's Lecture track. The tail of one piano section cut off rather suddenly, leaving 600ms of silence which sounded like an eternity. It took quite a lot of work to re-record the end section and insert it with more sustain. After that, and one last check, the Salomé album was complete and submitted to the distributor. It will take a day or two before we know all is well.

Then, in the afternoon, work on the Franz Hals song, which has taken most of the day. The electronic guitars sound so good and tight that I'll keep them. I've changed the song structure slightly, however. So many of my early songs simply repeated the same verse-chorus-verse-chorus-verse-chorus structure, and I don't like that now. I've added a change of pace and a quieter end. I must now also change the pace and tempo of everything. The tempo is the bedrock of a song so must be final before any live recordings; I'll almost certainly be adding live guitars and probably live organs too.

At 5pm or so I added a download page to the Fall in Green website, and created a couple of Desktop Wallpapers for it.

My parents went to Wrexham today, to see the Ty Pawb exhibition, and mum liked it. She said that my father moaned constantly, mostly complaints about having to spend any money. He 'earns' (in benefits) more in a week than I do in six, it seems. It amazes me that anyone connects work, or even intelligence or wits, with money, when, for the vast majority of European history the rich are rich only because they were born rich and will forever stay rich, and the poor are poor because they were born poor and will forever stay poor. The most intelligent have usually been the poor; the artists, poets, philosophers, and the rich masters, idiots, because they don't need brains, or indeed anything from anyone.