Sunday, October 23, 2022

Salomé Notation Starts

I've spent today starting to notate the sheet music for piano versions of the Lou Salomé album. This has taken far longer than expected considering I already have notated versions of all of the tracks, I initially wrote them in this way before the live show and recording the album, but now I need them to match the actual recordings, which differed a little, and the only real way is a time-consuming combination of live listening and peering at the MIDI sequences, which is painstakingly slow.

I'm also inexperienced at notation, reading and writing, but I'm doing it in my way; that is, avoiding repeat marks but actually repeating everything, and using text above the stave for mood/feeling/tempo in English, being poetic, rather than putting Italian terms below the stave. Maybe my methods will annoy people, but the key is to have the music there at all. One important reason for actual repetition rather than using repeat bars is that I can more easily add the strings or other instruments in this way.

I want to notate all of my albums, and will aim to do so with future works, at least. I hope that I can speed up the process.