Saturday, February 04, 2023

Cantus in Memoriam Score, ArtSwarm Boxes

Bah and sigh! A tedious and excruciating day scoring the piano part to Cantus in Memoriam Childhood from Shadows, but I've completed it in the end. The music is an odd mix of complex and simple, seemingly so simple (well, it was all improvised at the time) but the MIDI transcription was a complex gaggle of notes, and nothing, of course, was to time, so converting this involved a lot of juggling between Prometheus, then Sekaiju, then MuseScore, but, in the end, the basic notes were all notated. It will be an easier task to, if ever needed, add the strings and other parts. For a 10-year old track that's going nowhere, a full day of work is probably overkill, but I do ideally want to score all of my work, and this is good training for scoring other works.

I've generally like and have liked the Cycles & Shadows music, but listening now I can hear only the boominess and flaws in the mixing, as well as the haphazard production which, to my modern ears seems to have buried all of the best bits of the melody; but I remember that the whole process was a bold experiment at the time. The Love Symphony was earlier, and certainly more symphonic, but that was 100% sequenced, and this had a lot of live play. If the work of the past appears poor, it's because we have progressed. I can always and with ease remaster or re-record Cycles, and make it all much better, but new work must, of course, take priority.

I may pause with the scoring now to complete The Golden Age, and perhaps score that. As well as Cycles, I may tackle another, simpler, album too, perhaps The Modern Game.

In other news, I did some work on the next ArtSwarm event, making a poster and sending out initial invites. No response yet. It's odd that after my birthday event people were keen and excited for more, yet, a mere 6 weeks later and the response is decidedly muted. But, it's early days.