Monday, February 06, 2023

Feeling Raw, Prometheus v3.06

Awoke late, very tired and feeling sore inside my throat and chest, this regular seasonal malaise. Is this exhaustion, or some infection? It started in April 2010 and then lasted for a devastating 18 months. It returns periodically, but I'm never sure if it's a physical or psychological condition; but then, to some extent, both are linked, so it makes little difference. Here, as with all illnesses, I prefer to eat normally and as healthily as possible, try to stay fit, relaxed, focused, and take no medications or indulgences. Medications can cause more harm than good and I'm suspicious of all of them and of all doctors, though of course I believe wholly in science and reject all new-age mumbo jumbo. Foul herbs and slimy, acidy moulds are not my idea of healthy food.

Anyway, I spent much of today upgrading Prometheus a little. One change I felt I had to make before mastering The Golden Age was a 'Render Hold' feature. This renders the song but holds off saving it for a while, cutting off the first x of time. This is useful because the Cathedral Limiter plugin is look-ahead, so imparts a gap (say 500ms) at the start of the song which normally needs chopping off. I added a few other features:

1. Delete instruments using/not using current instrument now deletes Tone events following the instrument too.
2. A new option to set all notes in a track to Middle C, useful for tidying click tracks (or percussion).
3. New Simple Modulator expand/contract in addition to the old Interpolated type. Interpolated interpolates: Abc to A?b?c. Simple simply doubles up (like 'nearest neighbour' image sampling): Abc to AAbbcc. Same with downsampling. Abcdef to AAccee or Abcde to AAcc, as the length is a simple half division. This is useful for 16/32/64 long modulators for noise or specific song tempo modulators.
4. Fix to song length millisecond calculation (which has been wrong for months/years).
5. A toggle to see latest vs previous render stats.

And lots of Code Analysis fixes of minor importance. I also published the Cycles & Shadows scores on itch.

I'm full of anxiety and energy, almost a desperation to do.