Wednesday, February 01, 2023

February Filing, Album Tweaks

A first of the month, so a monthly backup day. Then, more album work with harmony vocals for The Girl with the Pearl Earring, but generally the album feels close to complete.

I've started work on the digital lyrics book, and will start tomorrow on notating Cycles & Shadows. For each new album I aim to notate one or two older ones plus the new one. The workload of notating and publishing the music would be too high for most musicians in my situation, but my programming skills allow me to export the music directly from Prometheus and import it into MuseScore, though of course, there's little value in this work in the short term, but for me, record keeping is a key part of life and of art.

The money situation looks rather bleak this month and this year, but this only makes art more important and each hour of each day more precious.

I've been thinking today on my older songs too. I have The Joey Deacon Song, The Incomplete Version of the Writer, Written on Rice, and perhaps 15 other songs from 10 years or more ago which are 90% sequenced and easy to finish and release; but what to do with these old creatures which bare no resemblance to my current work? I listened to a Kate Bush track yesterday called The Empty Bullring which sounded like a song from her earliest years, a Kick Inside-era demo which is a delightful era and style, and perhaps this B-side was just that. I'm reminded how useful the B-Side is, or was.