Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Congleton Solstice Show

Another busy day. Up at 7am for the Midsummer Frolic in Congleton:

Our performances went to plan, but the sing/play-along songs I'd not rehearsed didn't go as well as I'd like. I'm unused to playing chords, accompaniment, or playing with anyone generally. Many of the songs were sight-read on-the-fly from lyrics with chords. Perhaps I'd have done better playing by ear, or choosing melodies rather than chords. The Urban Spaceman sounded best, mainly due to practising this yesterday; this was a melodic lead rather than chords. The sad news is that Mike is now retiring, well, sad for us, and perhaps this merely means more time to devote to creative acts. His contribution to local culture, and to Fall in Green's humble origins, is huge. It was lovely to catch up with him and John after the show.

We returned home at 3pm or so, and I've spent the rest of the day finalising the changes to Argus. It's one of those frustrating series of changes, with tons of work, huge potential for accidental errors, with very little visible result. I've changed all of the program text to be accessed externally, and added a most-recent-files list to the file opening. Ultimately, changes (improvements!) here can spread across SFXEngine and Prometheus. There are a few differences between all three which I could seek to unify.

I'll file this tomorrow, then visit my father's exhibition in Nantwich Museum.