Friday, June 02, 2023

Music Progress

Ah, a full day today. First, I worked out that yesterday's calculations allow me to improve the accuracy of the timing reports, so added exact (to one sample) time calculations for per tick, per beat, per measure.

Most importantly, I've been working on the music. First refining P-L-Astic, this was relatively easy.

The hard work, and much of the day has been spent on a moody tune called We Are The Damaged, or The Growth Of God (or I Had No Friends). I had/have many options for this... it's emotion based, that is it must vary a lot in timing and volume. This is best done 'live' for maximum expression, but that lack of structure can be a problem. The beat in a song really drives emotion, and my most moody songs are totally arhythmic, which makes them difficult to compose and produce, I really struggle with moving the ethereal improvisations of music into a rigid form. So, I created draft after draft of this song, all a bit different. I'm perhaps already on a 4th major version. A first draft switched between two chords, then I made a ticking rhythm and slow beat, something like (but slower and darker) The Great Grandfather's Song from Burn of God, but this only half worked, so I started again and tried another draft. I had a strange chord arrangement worked out, something from the 'broken punks' era of this song, A-minor to C#-Major, two wildly atonal keys.

So, I simply played this on piano, and this sounds better. I will sing an approximate melody to this. This seems to work well, much more like the concept I had in mind, but it has required adding some drums by hand. Lots more to do.

I also did some work on a new song called What Is Love? and My Baby's Non-Binary (Goodbye Love).

So tracks so far are:
Do You Know Where Your Heart Is (draft 1 done)
We Are The Damaged (barely begun)
Robot (draft 1 done)
My Baby's Non-Binary (very little worked out not even a melody)
Plastic Lies (basic melody worked out)
Life As A Robot Guard (lots done)
P-L-Astic (lots done)
Where Is Love? (written, nothing else done)
Someone Else's A.I. (lots done, but lots more to do on this complex song).