Monday, June 12, 2023

I Think You Love Me Vocals, Fan Fix

Almost too uncomfortably hot to work today, and a day punctuated by a first visit to the dentist in some years.

I spent a lot of time on 'I Think You Love Me', recording and adding the vocals. I had sketches for some sub-vocals (backing, harmonies etc.) but the results were mixed, so I added some with the vocoder instead and it sounded amazing, so I stuck with that. It's rather a difficult song to produce because the words and vowels are very long, 'I' stretched over 4 beats for example. The initial song (in my head? I can't recall if I've ever added vocals) had very robot-sounding (synthesized) vocals, but I wanted to keep the human vocals because of the emotion, and there is a surprising amount of emotion in there.

I need to add some more vocoder I think. The sound is clean and clinical, it reminds be of Yazoo, which is no bad thing.

The trip to the dentist went fine. The contemporary music on the radio sounded like Black Box from the 1990s. Not so long ago, the 1980s was the decade of choice to emulate, now things have moved on (and down!) a notch.

I stopped off at Dunelm Mill to buy a new desk fan, and while in the shop the heavens opened with tropical rain, summer hail and lightning. I walked home with my umbrella, but was still soaked through, then enjoyed nature's show. The fan made an annoying hammering buzz because the fan shaft had 0.5mm of play. I dismantled it, first trying to hold the shaft in place, but it seems that the play is necessary for the fan to turn, so I added a small compression spring of the sort that click-pens have, and this did the trick. It's now silent.