Monday, June 26, 2023

Mothmoon

As somewhat sad and tired day. I added the acoustic guitar parts to Fake Plastic Lies and recorded some rock-organ. The washing machine has broken down, our milk was stolen by out affluent neighbours (not for the first time), my father is having great trouble finding anyone who is able to endorse his identity for his passport application.

My computer had trouble today too, which was and is a cause of anxity. The sound during playback (in any software) started to crackle, then slowed down (and lowered in pitch) with increasing crackle, before collapsing entirely in a distorted hiss then silence; the whole collapse taking place during playback over 30-secs or so. A Windows restart seem to fix the problem. Today is the first cool day after two weeks of 25-degree temperatures. Such climate changes have a worrying potential for hardware errors. My hope is that the problem was caused by a loose USB cable. The connection on the Studio 26c is typically very badly designed, as delicate as a house of playing cards, a very slight breath-brush will loosen it. I wish USB cables on 'professional' level equipment were screwed-in or fixed very firmly.

Most of the music on this computer emotion album is complete, but most of the year is gone too, and it feels like an empty year despite my constant work. I've spent at least a full-time month of work on SFXEngine; this is good and needed doing. We have a few interesting performance opportunities, good; but everything is very spartan. Why am I working on this music at all? I must do so, at least, to improve upon something consciously, and do something better than before; do my best.

I've written a new song, or some new words, for a part sketched as 'Entering the Machine': 'Mothmoon'. I still need to write the music for 'AI and Celebrity', work on the production for Where Is Love (and finalise the composition), and all of part 3... should I paint? What to do, and why?

Here are the words to Mothmoon:

Mothmoon

I'm tired, in the day
but can't sleep.
I lie awake all night
and can't sleep.

Perhaps it's time to retire,
to retreat
from this wood-soaked
smoke into light
electronic;

switch off emotions,
transcend the meat,
shed the moth-skin
for a moon
electronic.