Tuesday, June 06, 2023

Non-Binary Production, Portrait Glaze

A sleepless night, struggling to breathe due to mucus, ah the joys of being allergic to summer!

I started the day with an update to SFXEngine which will better prepare it for various screen sizes, then a bit of work on the 'Non-Binary' production, then some painting, my first since my hand injury. I touched up one of the small Bickerton portraits, and added a glaze layer to the second. These were intended as fast and cheap works, training, as well as things people may want to buy as this rare exhibition and sale opportunity.

The source image is rather flat for this one, and small and blurry which didn't help painting. Still, this used ultramarine rose, a very delicate pigment, and one that lends itself to a particular type of glazing. Glazes over black-like or grey like hues tend to naturally create a compliment. The shadows on the face look blueish, though they are pink over grey. Much of this work is rougher than usual, the hair almost impressionistic, Rembrantesque. I can imagine repainting this better one day.

I watched a Vermeer documentary, what a craftsman. It's clear that he spent a lot meticulous time on each work, more an obsessive hobby than a commercial enterprise. His works are not technically difficult, well I can envisage copying any of his in two layers, though, taking an inordinate time of detail work on each layer; that, rather than many layers, is the key.

After that, yet more 'Non-Binary' production. Generally I've felt very tired, ill and under-par all day and all week. It reminds me that life is short, and health finite.