Sunday, June 25, 2023

My Baby's Non Binary, Fake Plastic Lies

Back to music with a charge, but progress is slow even when working non-stop.

More production work yesterday on My Baby's Non Binary, which is just about finished and is an excellent song (if I say so myself). I added some final vocoder harmony vocals today. Have also started work on 'Fake Plastic Lies', which is an old-style rock song, complete with bouncy Latin-rhythms like many classic rock songs have. Most of yesterday and much of today was crafting the sequenced parts, the bass, drums, hi-hats, cowbells and other parts 'sing' along to the main melody. This is extremely exacting and time consuming but makes all of the difference to the fundamental drive and sonority of the song.

Also today I recorded a ukulele string by string and note by note. This can now, if I wanted, be added to Someone Else's A.I. using sequencing, albeit meticulously and very slowly and inefficiently. It does, though, sound very like a live player thanks to some of the intelligence in Prometheus. Still, playing live would be easiest, so I'll hold off on this track until later. All it takes is a bit of practice.

Also made today, a new track. A one-minute filler called 'Joy From A Machine Code Perspective', which will follow the end of We Are The Damaged (which I completed yesterday) and run into Robot. Damages is as good as I had hoped, but it was hugely hard work with many blind alleys and work made and discarded. Nothing worthwhile is easy.

Just now I've recorded a few acoustic guitar sounds for Fake Plastic Lies. I'll not play these strums in one go, the inaccuracy of the timing would annoy me. It's a hard switch between C-Maj to D-Maj to G-Mag at 150 beats a minute so I've recorded a few strums and chords and will magic them all together.