Monday, June 05, 2023

My Baby's Non-Binary

A anguished night, and strange dreams, of befreinding the band Sparks, who liked me. I suggested a title for their next album, one I also liked for myself, and they chose it. I also dreamt of a Norwegian TV series which had large puppets or strange monsters separated into twin pairs, one questing for the other. I feel these dreams are linked to the song occupying my mind last night: My Baby's Non-Binary. Today has flown, making small changes to that song and others. I should be painting, or should I? I'm busy, but lacking in motivation. My motivation to paint is that I can, I have 'good ideas' and perhaps might not have the time, sight, skill to paint them in future, though, of course, none of the results will be exhibited or sold (well they probably will be eventually, but are not certain to be soon), which is a dampener on such things. So, much of today's work was on My Baby's Non-Binary. The initial words were:

I want her darkness
I want his light
I want her sinews
above me
I see her working
at his desk
I need her mind
I need their mind

But they are rather easy; lacking in image, poetry, contrast, emotion. The very words are repetitive, like the music. I wrote some new verses, based on the fundamental image of a dark nightclub with neon, smoke, strobe. The music and words should describe this.

Dances while caged.
Scarlet-haired neon.
I need her sinews, their
glitter above me.
Angelic and strange.
Bitter-sweet lonely.
Is she a raven
or dove?

My baby's non-binary
Goodbye love?
My baby's non-binary
Goodbye love?

Plastic and silver.
Side-glances hateful.
I'm afraid, of myself,
the lock above.

etc.

I need to add more to the sweeping, but somewhat monotenous music (this is often the case in pop music anyway - I want more). It may have enough, though. It is high energy, a futuristic disco song, something like The Number One Song In Heaven, hence the Sparks dream.