Sunday, June 11, 2023

Paint Box, Father's Art Exhibition, Coding

A busy day today, making a new paint storage box for new paints. These are best stored vertically. For important colours, I like to have a spare in stock, but I'm a few short. This was made from 34mm MDF, 30x30mm holes, with 3mm slots. All jigsawed, but I cheated and sawed the slots in one go. All in all, 70 slots were cut - it would have taken me far longer otherwise. The results are rather poor quality, but functional, it works as planned:

I've also updated the skin maps for Prometheus, Argus and SFXEngine. All share a common skin, but the way it's worked is not efficient, and I needed to update it for a future 'genre' flag for each plug-in. I'll not code these in just yet, but this arrangement work is a big part of it.

Generally, it's too hot to work. The sawing work on making the box was exhausting and I feel more tired than inspired, though it's good to work. I've also practiced the piano pieces for the forthcoming Fall in Green performance on the 21st (solstice) at Congleton Library, an event all thanks to the marvellous Mike Drew.

My father's art exhibition is now up and running in Nantwich Museum. I've yet to see it:

This is a somewhat moving event for me. I can only ever remember going to one of his exhibitions, in the old Crewe Library as a young child, probably then in the late 1970s or early 1980s. My first memory of painting was him showing me oil paints, and this certianly dispelled my fear of that medium, though I didn't start painting until he had stopped. I still use his studio easel today. At times I hate my father, at times pity him as he nears the end of his life, and feel that my lifetime of emotions are false.

Onwards we roll the eternal rock.