Sunday, December 24, 2023

Christmas Cancelled, Prometheus v3.26

Sigh. Last Christmas Eve (or was it Christmas morning?) I had a call from Deborah from her work, to say that her client had tested positive for Covid, meaning she had to remain at work, her client and herself 'isolating'. We had to spend Christmas apart. We exchanged gifts and celebrated on New Year's Day instead.

Today I had a call that exactly the same thing has occurred, so our Christmas is cancelled again, and we won't see each other until Saturday at the earliest, assuming that she remains well. I met her and the infected person yesterday for a brief visit in a café, so there is also a chance, though remote I think, that I have contracted Covid too. I feel well enough, much stronger in fact than yesterday.

This means that the holiday week will be a normal work week for me.

I've spent today updating Prometheus to version 3.26. This started with a change (and an unexpected fix) to the MIDI importer, then adding a new feature to automatically trim samples.

The latter has proven to be stubbornly difficult! I first shoot forwards until the threshold is reached, and do the same from the end backwards, to calculate the final trimmed size, then I trim the sample and fade the edges. It works, but it seems to not detect when a sample has already been faded, and so tries to re-trim. There are a lot of complex tests to do on this, as I can trim start, end, or both. A start trim must be identical to an end trim on a reversed sample. These all seem correct, yet the 'already faded' test is proving stubborn. I'll keep trying. It's taken many hours so far. All of this distracts me from what would be Christmas.