Monday, January 24, 2022

Heart of Snow Admin, God Infinity Guitars

A steady, full day. The first half of the day was finalising the Heart of Snow EP. The project is one 23 minute piece which flow one into another, which I like, but when the tracks are divided up into the CD-tracks, the results start and stop at odd times, not ideal for streaming, so I'll release separate CD and stream versions.

I keep saying this but how we need a new physical medium for music! Vinyl might be experiencing a renaissance, but it's a rubbish medium. No car would have a record player, flipping a disc is annoying. They are too short; my 23 minute piece would just fit, in an ugly way one one side, comfortably on two with an awkward gap in the middle. The sound of an LP might be 'warm' and analogue, but inferior to CD by every metric; for a start, you can always hear the tap-dance of a million fleas from the surface of the disc itself.

A good format would be about CD sized. Smaller (an MP3 player, a USB stick) would be too small for artwork or liner notes, which are an important part of the medium. Larger (a 7-inch single) would be too large to post in an envelope and would take up space, assuming it has enough thickness for a 3.5mm headphone socket. My concept for a good format would have the player built in, so the CD/case/object has a headphone socket and play controls itself. Manufacturing is now cheap enough for this.

Well, the EP is complete. I spent a few hours experimenting with cover artwork. Here is a first draft:

In the afternoon I recorded guitars for God Infinity. These were fun to do, though a little tedious to other any people's ears (playing the same loop over and over - I like this because it is good training). I spent time incorporating these into this long song; I'll need to do a few more but I'm almost at the stage of only needing vocals, which will be easy and enjoyable, when I get the opportunity.

I have a few ideas for new projects, books and collaborations, but this week and perhaps next will be about Burn of God, completing the IndieSFX roll-out, possibly working on new plug-ins for Prometheus.