Saturday, January 29, 2022

The Tree Vocals, Neorenaissance Books, Anthony Phillips

Recorded new vocals for The Tree today, loved this and all good in one take. I typically record two full takes now so that I have an option to choose one or the other. I layered the "and we are part of it" line using the Zeitraum plugin, which works so well on vocals, this is one key to the sound on the Otesanek chorus. The fact that nobody else in the world has the effect is something of a bonus. How blessed I feel to have command of this instrument called voice. I can say with absolute certainty that I'll never use any degree of Autotune. How awful it has always sounded. As with playing any instrument, what are considering imperfections equates to emotion. I can really see the links between piano, guitar, and voice.

I added these vocals. I may keep the digital guitars here as these sound interesting, but I'll experiment with replacements.

In the afternoon the first batch of Neorenaissance books arrived so I spent a few hours packing them up to send off to poets and to take to the museum.

Another thing which came yesterday is a new 5-CD release of Anthony Phillips' music, old work and demos, which actually sound like demos, so the music is interesting for that reason - though annoying being in cardboard sleeves. How cheap and ugly to risk delicate compact discs by needing to slide them from cereal-packet cardboard. The music has made me wish that Kate Bush release, or rather re-record, her old Phoenix Demos. If I had permission, I would happily record some.