Saturday, January 22, 2022

Recording Artistry, Burn of God Choirs

A long day of working on the Heart of Snow song, these final tweaks can take so long. I've kept in the quiet part, it definitely adds more drama, but needed some changes to the pacing. Prometheus can directly include a segment from another song, such a useful feature. I've also changed some small aspects of the intro piano and made the strings in the verses staccato rather than continuous.

How I love recorded music. I really want to make this a serious art medium. I think these are unique times for the medium. Money from sales is near zero, I hardly sell or make a thing from recordings, most music artists make money from performing. I don't particularly like performing. I seem to be unusual in this; the 'acclaim', applause, glory etc. this doesn't matter to me as much as the quality of my performance, and, of course, for me at the moment the act of live performance is a lot of heavy and tiring work of carrying and setting up delicate equipment for many hours. Perhaps if my only job was to perform it would be enjoyable. As an artform, performance is fleeting. A happiness like eating. Part of me shudders at this slight death, this transient pleasure that makes no mark on the universe.

I would love to make music as powerful as a Bergman or Kurosawa film. All I can do is my best; try, aim.

I've recorded lots of vocals for the Burn of God re-recording today, many of the overdubs for the great choruses. Each of these involves 40 vocal layers at 3 different pitches, and at least 50 vocal layers for the great Kyrie Eleison, maybe more as it would be nice to include some female vocals. This may seem excessive but all of those voices really do sound very powerful. I've recorded about half of them, a good 90 minutes of constant 'choral' work which felt wonderful. I'll work on the backing tracks for the other songs next.

I seem to be making music like van Gogh made painting, a compulsion for its own sake. For scraping a living in the short term, this is rarely good, but for art itself and for ultimate success, it is necessary and vital.