Saturday, January 01, 2022

Prometheus 2.76, Rick Wakeman's Wives

After completing annual backups a day early, I had a theoretically free day but slept badly and had idea of how to neaten and improve Prometheus.

I have a few plug-in ideas, and over the years old plug-ins get replaced or superseded. I've got a system to auto-upgrade them when songs with old plug-ins are loaded. By now (after 10 years use) I'm used to a system of trialling effects and then using or updating them if they prove useful, but including just one in a song means I have to keep it. I thought it would be useful to see which songs (1000+ sequences) had which plug-ins so that I could manually update the files to keep them all up to date, so today I programmed a batch-analyser which loads (or rather looks at) a folder of song files and saves out a list of text files with song information. This should help me upgrade the plug-ins in a permanent way.

Now, I have 13 obsolete ones which are upgraded; all of these but one can be upgraded with 100% accuracy (the replacement does the same and more). The only one that can't can 'sort of' but uses a different method of tuning. I'm sure I have one or two that are hardly ever used, or have never been used. They take up memory so will be discarded if unused. Sometimes upgrading means deleting.

While adding this feature I also made it possible to change, in the program options, the sizes of the windows. This should make the program suit other displays better. I still use my ancient 17-inch square monitor, but one day will probably have to upgrade to a widescreen one.

In between working I've watched a TV concert of Rick Wakeman's The Six Wives of Henry VIII. It made me laugh. In all of his music career he poses questions and the answer is always jazz-rock. Nobody would connect this music with any wife of King Henry if they heard it first, but this humour is part of his personality as much as his music.

I'm reminded how much I'd love to, and should, perform The Spiral Staircase in a spectacular outdoor concert with fireworks, ideally at Queen's Park here.

Tomorrow I'll assemble the art for Nantwich.